Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Waiting for FedEx and Other Top News Stories


Working for yourself means You are the one who sweeps the floor at the end of the day, You are the one who has to sit listening to 13 voicemails all over again just to get to the one at the end where you can almost hear the last digit of the telephone number you need to call back. It means a lot of busy days, but it also means a lot of waiting. Today I am waiting for the FedEx truck to deliver materials to me so I can make some fantastic shades for some Seattle, Sonoma, and Missoula, MT clients. So I wait.

While waiting I scanned the headlines of my favorite news source: "Child Wins a Grenade", "Amorous Squid Seeks Partner: Any Sex Will Do", and "Marines Hit the Ground Running In Seeking Recruits at Gay Center". No, this is not the Onion, this is the front page of the New York Times. Proof positive that real life is stranger than fiction.

I am not the most patient person, in fact I HATE the wait, but as I sit here reading the Times and eating sopa de fideo in air conditioning, I am reminded to keep perspective. Until just yesterday, Gay men and women had to hide who they love while dying for the freedom of everyone else. That in Somalia a radio station is giving a kid a fully automatic assault riffle for winning a raffle and that some people have REAL problems. That if a squid can be down with doing it with either a male or female indiscriminately, we can all wait a few more hours for that FedEx truck to come so I can finish some lampshades.

If you run your own business, you feel busy ALL the time, you never have a moment to yourself, or you just need a dose of perspective; take this time-right now-to read about Barry Lubin who at the age of 59 is still pursuing his dreams as a circus clown. Barry, you are an inspiration to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment